Thursday, May 23, 2013

Fox Den in Suburbia

I received a phone call from Tom Revis, A gentleman I met while Photographing  A Great Horned Owls nest in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park.

We got to talking and exchanged pleasantries discussing life and photography in general while visiting the Owls nest. Turns out he visited my website and liked what he saw.
 As later I received a phone call with him asking me if I knew of Art Wolfe Photography.  I mentioned I knew of him and admired his work.
He then proceeded to tell me my work was every bit as good if not better. " Not sure about that" But I was really flattered.

He then proceeded to tell me about a Red Fox Den boarding under his neighbors shed, offering to meet me there and gain me access through the neighbors property to photograph the pups.
I ended up meeting him that next morning and began 4 days of photographing the pups in mornings from about 6:30 am till 10 am.  During this time frame the pups were somewhat active.

However I found shooting conditions challenging with few shot opportunities due to the light and the man made obstacles such as landscaping  etc.
 However with time and patience I did manege a few  rustic and wild looking images of the pups as they ventured into there surrounding environment.

This first Image is 1 of the pups at the Den site the shed behind him is home, there living underneath it, the gravel piled up over the timber is gravel dug out from beneath the barn area making more room for a den site. there were 4 pups total, never could I get all the pups together, so solo shots were my only opportunities.


These next 3 Images are of a Pup as he ventured out and away from the Den site getting into some morning light, this was the only opportunity I had with the pups in some descent lighting and somewhat in the open, the area was pretty thick and did not allow many shot opportunities.



This last Image is almost as if saying goodbye, One of the last times I seen them as they ventured further and further from the den site, I wish I knew of it sooner, but am thankful for the opportunity to spend with them and mother Nature, Many Thanks to my Friend Tom Revis for bringing these to my attention., I am forever grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment