Saturday, February 25, 2012

San Diego Bird Photography

I Visited the San Diego area of California from the 10th-17th of February, exclusively to Photograph Birds. The trip was more than I could have ever Imagined.

I was fortunate to add 19 species to my files on this trip. I visited 4 areas while there, Santee Lakes, LaJolla Cliffs, Imperial Beach and the Bolsa Chica Nature Preserve, each area offered a different flavor of terrain and species, with many overlapping.

My first stop was Santee Lakes area, where I had nice light and some newly found species opportunities. Here I photographed Black Phoebe, Ring Necked Duck, Pied Billed Grebe, Snowy Egrets and an Osprey.

Upon entering the first bird I seen was this Black Phoebe, so together we created a photo session, here is one from that encounter.

Black Phoebe

American Widgeon

Ring Necked Duck

 I had a fun opportunity with a Pied Billed Grebe, they would fish along the shoreline, this particular bird caught and ate a fairly substantial meal for his size.


Soon after photographing this guy, This Osprey swooped in for a easy meal of the freshly stocked rainbow trout.


afternoon light  brought this opportunity of a perched  Snowy Egret on this rock.


With the day winding down, I found this Cormorant perched on a rock in Lake #2 as I was making my way out of the park.


The following day I spent the morning at LaJolla cliffs, here there were Double Breasted and Brandts Cormorants as well as Brown pelicans in breeding plumage. As well as two of the coastal species of gulls for this area. Western and Heermann's Gulls.

Brown Pelicans

Brandt's Cormorant

Double Crested Cormorants
Heermann's Gull
Western Gull

After a full morning at LaJolla cliffs I made my way over to Mission Beach which is rite on the Mexican border, here I hoped to photograph some shorebirds. I had nice opportunities at Marbled Godwits, Snowy Plovers, Black Bellied Plovers and even a Willet.

Marbled Godwit

Black Bellied Plover
Snowy Plover

From Imperial Beach I packed it in and headed to Bolsa Chica Nature Preserve in Orange County, about 2 hours North of San Diego, Here I photographed both species of Hummingbirds, also a Loggerhead Shrike as well as Reddsih Egret's, Grebes,Various waterfowl and others.

Loggerhead Shrike
 Western Grebe

I also found Allan's and Anna Hummingbirds on territory, each defending its territory and eagerly chasing off intruders.

Alann's Hummingbird
Anna Hummingbird
Also found here was a Reddish Egret, Further North than it's typical range would have it, I suppose the mild winter had something to do with that.

Reddish Egret

Also sveral Duck species were seen and Photographed here as well Including Buffleheads, Red Breasted Mergansers, Lesser Scaup, American Widgeon and Northern Pintails. I even seen a Surf Scoter but images were for ID purposes only.

It was a great trip, Grueliing with long days and often 5 mile hikes with my gear, but an experience I will forever remember, Plus a nice winter get away!

No comments:

Post a Comment